Five Ways to Add Some Fun to Your Workday
No matter where you work, you probably have days that seem as if they're never going to end. You can lighten your spirits by adding an element of fun to your workday. Here are some ideas:
- Work in a perk. When you plan your day, include one item that you can look forward to - lunch with your best friend, your favorite chocolate bar at the afternoon break, or a brisk, refreshing walk at noon;
- Breathe. Several times during the day, pause for three slow, deep, relaxing breaths. This helps clear your mind and calm your thoughts. Throw in a few good stretches for good measure;
- Keep stress relievers on hand. During a break, perform a fun activity that will let you rest the serious, logical part of your brain. A computer puzzle, or a quick game of "shooting hoops" in your wastebasket using a wadded-up sheet of scrap paper can rejuvenate your energy level. You might even want to keep your favorite joke book on hand for super-stressful times;
- Celebrate small victories;
- Review your successes at the end of the day. Think about what you did well. Dwelling on your mistakes and failures will magnify their importance unfairly.
Tips for Staying Cool Under Pressure
- Take brisk walks on your break;
- Post motivational quotes on your phone or around your workstation;
- Get more sleep at night;
- Take breaks with other positive people;
- Share your feelings about work with friends and family members;
- Eat a healthy lunch;
- Listen to motivational tapes on your way to work;
- Make time for your hobbies;
- Keep a funny picture near your phone so you remember to smile;
- Allow yourself one five minute phone call to a friend.
At the End of the Day.
At the end of the day, spend a few moments reflecting on what you have accomplished. Tally up all the good experiences you have had, you might be surprised to find that on any given day there were many more "positives" than "negatives".
Everything happens for a reason; although situations may get you down at times always remember what you have learned, and try to look at things with optimism. Remember, if you feel like thing are "getting on top of you", or you are becoming stressed or frustrated, take some time out. Get away from the situation and do something you enjoy for a while. When you come back, remember to stay focused on the task at hand and try not to get side-tracked.
And at the end of the day. you deserve to pat yourself on the back!!
Back To Top ^